Friday, February 5, 2010

Take the LOVE DARE Challenge—I dare you!

Do you remember being “dared” to do something?
I dare you to ring that doorbell and run! I dare you to eat a grasshopper! I dare you to jump off that wall!

I dare ya.

Well, I’ve never been one to like “dares.” To me, dares are silly. They’re for proving something to someone, and, I guess, I’ve never felt the need to prove anything to anybody. But there were those kids who were always…always willing to take a dare. It exhilarated them! It pushed them to the ends of what they thought they could and couldn’t do. Sometimes the outcomes were good. Sometimes they were bad. Needless to say, I’m glad when I was in the 4th grade Holly Powell dared me to eat a grasshopper and I dared to go home. That poor grasshopper!

Now that being said there's a DARE I am willing to take.  Buy the Book
I have DARED to take the LOVE DARE. This is a unique kind of dare. You don’t have to ring Mr. McGregor’s doorbell and run. You don’t have to risk getting into trouble with your parents, risking your life, or risking anything really. There’s no risk involved. All you have to risk is the possibility of increasing the love in your life. I promise…it’s a dare worth taking.

The Love Dare is written by Alex and Stephen Kendrick, who serve on the pastoral staff at Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany, GA. The book is broken up into 40, easy-to-read, inspirational, one- day devotionals based on LOVE. Think of it as easy bite-sized pieces that you can chew one at a time. For example, Day 1 is: Love is Patient. Day 2 is Love is Kind. The authors have done an excellent job of writing about love in action; what it looks like; what it takes like; and what it feels like. You can picture it in your mind and you can easily begin to put into practice what you have learned.

Loving is sometimes hard to do. But with a good book that teaches you “how” to love, you can’t go wrong. Based on scriptures from the bible and gospel principles, it’s written on the premise of improving your marriage. But it helps with any relationship where there is love. And really, isn’t that every relationship? “Love thy neighbor as thyself.” Who hasn’t had trouble loving their neighbor at some point in time. This book can help. It helps you love your children, your parents, yourself. And you do it one day at a time. One chapter, at the most is two pages. Who doesn’t have time to devote to two pages a day?

I finished the LOVE DARE last year, and I’m doing it again. I have a feeling I will be doing it the rest of my life. I wish I could tell you that after you take the dare, you’ll be fixed. But, learning to love is really a life-long journey. This book is truly something that can be your companion for life. It will change the way you look at love and how you desire to be loved and how you desire to show love.

Take the LOVE DARE challenge. I dare ya!  For you movie buffs, the movie "Fireproof" is a great movie that goes along with the book. 

 
SHARE THE LOVE...

Here's some fun ideas! 

1.  THE LOVE BREAKFAST. 

Give your family a "Love Breakfast."  The night before, I decorate the table so in themorning the kids wake up to beautiful display.  That way they know it's special.  We eat on special dishes.  (They're pink.)  I serve quiche, pink punch, heart-shaped muffins, heart-shaped pancakes.  Everything is red and pink.  Then I write a love-note to each child and stick it on their plate.  My son had his "lovenote" stuck on his bulletin board the entire year.  Love that!  So don't think your boys won't go for it.  They will.  Just tone down the pink a tad.  My LOVE BREAKFAST is a fun family tradition that we look forward to every year.

2.  THE LOVE BUCKET. 

Make a love bucket that, for a week or so before Valentines' Day you fill with "love notes."  You could use a box, a bowl, anything really.  Fill it with paper hearts, and let your children write to their heart's content.  We love this!  And it's fun over the years to read some of the notes from year's past. 

3.  VALENTINE'S FOR SENIOR CITIZENS.  
Use a Family Home Evening Night to make Valentine's for seniors in your neighborhood or at a care center.  Kids love delivering them.  

4.  BROWNIE BOUQUET -- this has become a FAVORITE.
This is a fabulous and fun way to make brownies.  They also make beautiful gifts.  (And, yes, they really are brownies.)


I was bored with brownies, so I tried these Brownie Pops.  Here's the recipe:
Make one box of your favorite brownies.  Bake as directed.  Cool.  Dump baked brownies into your mixer.  Add 3/4 of a tub of store-bought creamcheese frosting.  Mix together.  Roll into balls.  Place on a cookie sheet.  Put a stick in each ball.  Freeze for 30 mins.  Then dip in white Almond Bark and decorate with sprinkles.  I used sugar pearls.  Stick the brownie pop sticks in floral styrofoam.  Put tissue paper around the pops.  You can use a gift bag, box, or basket for your container.  Beautiful and delicious! 

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment